The criminal law attorneys are also known as criminal defense attorneys and public defenders.
Our work is focused on the defense of people and entities that have been charged with a crime.
Among the crimes that criminal attorneys handle are: domestic violence, sex crimes, violent crimes and drug crimes to driving under the influence (DUI), theft, embezzlement and fraud.
Functions of the criminal lawyer
The courts in which a criminal attorney works are state, federal, and appellate courts. His area of practice includes bail hearings, plea agreements, trials, revocation hearings (parole or parole), appeals, and post-conviction appeals. Its main functions are:
- Investigate the case and interview witnesses
- Research case law, statutes, crimes codes, and procedural law
- Build a defense and develop a case strategy
- Negotiate with the prosecution to plea bargain to lesser charges
- Draft, file and argue motions such as motions to dismiss and motions to suppress
- Advocate for the defendant at trial
- Draft, file and argue appeals